The show is coming along
My eyes are all melty and I’m dying to dig into Smash Ultimate, but let’s take a moment to recap the major video game news from The Game Awards 2018. There were some genuinely surprising moments.
For instance: a new Marvel Ultimate Alliance… developed by Team Ninja… for Nintendo Switch. I sure didn’t see that coming, and even if I somehow did, it looks better than I would’ve expected.
Crash Team Racing, Obsidian’s attention-grabbing new RPG The Outer Worlds, and Mortal Kombat 11 kept the pace moving despite a still-too-long runtime. Even with the award side of the show streamlined, there’s too much stuff crammed in. That said, it’s maybe not the worst problem to have.
In terms of announcements, one company stole the show, and it was none other than Nintendo. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is recruiting Persona 5‘s Joker as its first paid DLC character. With the news dropping shortly before the game went live on the eShop, the timing couldn’t have been better.
Here’s that and everything else that happened at The Game Awards 2018:
- Sayonara Wild Hearts is a neon-drenched dreamscape for Switch
- The odds are against us in Journey to the Savage Planet
- The Stanley Parable is heading to consoles in 2019
- Among Trees promises a colorful survival sandbox
- Hey, that’s three important guys on stage!
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 revealed, and it’s only on Switch
- Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey takes you on a ten million year journey
- Go to hell and back with Supergiant’s Hades
- Far Cry: New Dawn is a post-apocalyptic playground and it’s coming soon
- Scavengers is a winter sci-fi cooperative survival shooter
- Crash Team Racing remaster comes to modern consoles in June
- Crash crashes Game Awards, gives Geoff a trophy
- Dead by Daylight’s latest update brings a new chapter, killer and map
- Monster Hunter-esque Dauntless is coming to Switch, Xbox One, PS4 and mobile next year
- The Last Campfire is a new adventure from No Man’s Sky developer Hello Games
- Here’s your first look at Obsidian’s new first-person RPG, The Outer Worlds
- PUBG’s new snow map hits PC test servers tonight
- Atlas is a new gigantic survival MMO from the ARK: Survival Evolved team
- The Pathless is the next project from the creators of Abzu
- Wizards of the Coast gets serious with Magic Arena with massive eSports push
- BioWare made an obligatory Dragon Age 4 teaser
- Check out this new trailer for Psychonauts 2
- Oh hell yeah, Mortal Kombat 11 is all set for April
- Stranger Things is getting a 16-bit game that follows the events of Season 3
- Rage 2 launches on May 14, still looks like insane fun
- Persona 5’s Joker is making it into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Here are all the winners from the 2018 Game Awards