A manual save system would’ve been nice
With the way Far Cry 6 forces players to rely on autosaves, things can get messy. We stroll into open-world Ubisoft games expecting a certain amount of jank, but when it comes to game-halting issues, especially ones as scary as the “looping death” bug in Far Cry 6, there’s a reason why it’s better to hold off until at least a few big patches are out.
With Title Update 2, Ubisoft has fixed the looping death autosave problem (and others) as well as re-tuned the spawn rate for enemies at José’s Island and Martínez Airstrip.
The looming threat of a glitch putting me in an endless cycle of death in a game as big as Far Cry 6 freaks me out. I never encountered the progress-blocking bug, but not everyone was so lucky, as shown in this sad (but also kinda funny) clip from Reddit user VR_Techy.
In short, an autosave could happen at the moment of Dani’s death, and… you’re stuck.
Initially, Ubisoft suggested a temporary workaround — having another player join you in a co-op session to help you escape the loop — but now there’s a solution with Title Update 2. It’s available today for the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S versions of Far Cry 6, while the PC, Stadia, and Luna versions will get the update “as soon as possible.”
You can skim the patch notes here, and they’re worth a look if you’ve encountered any glitchy NPCs during particular quests, but I’ll list the general highlights.
- Fixed an issue that could cause a looping death and loading screen situation when an autosave was made while the player was dying.
- Fixed an issue that could cause a player to fall through the world until restarting the game under rare circumstances after crashing a plane into the ground during a co-op session.
- Improved game responsiveness after extended Co-Op sessions.
- New Daily and Weekly Challenges have been added.
- New Special Operation: Los Tres Santos [starting November 9].
- General performance improvement.
- The title sequence can now be skipped like other cinematics.
- The Co-Op menu icon now shows a “!” when Co-Op becomes available for players.
- Workbench background has been updated to make it less distracting.
- Updated Colorblind mode to fix several issues for players with deuteranopia, e.g., not have white text on yellow background.
- This update also removes the Dani & Danny vs Everybody mission as it was accidentally released too early. We look forward to players checking out the final version in the future.
Far Cry 6 is a ridiculous game, but I didn’t know it was “you can take a quest from actor Danny Trejo and he’ll listen to you gush about Spy Kids” ridiculous.
There are many more updates in Far Cry 6‘s future — hopefully screen tearing, wider concerns about overzealous AI reinforcements, and a lot of little and not-so-little concerns are addressed soon. I’ve had a smooth enough time so far, and I feel fortunate.