HellBird App lists 2021’s most talked-about titles
In my four decades on our rotating rock, I’ve seen my fair share of bad eggs and mean folks. It can be a tough world, after all. But the 2006 arrival of Twitter changed all that. I thought I already struggled to appreciate society, but the world-changing Bird App came swaggering in, yelled “Hold my Beer” and proceeded to raise/lower the bar on spotlighting the very worst of humanity at their very… best?
Regardless, Twitter, like all social media, can be a powerful marketing tool, capable of both lauding and criticizing any and all products or services in equal measure. Should your film, video game, album, artwork, or opinion not find favor with the viral community, you can be in trouble. Real trouble. That said, if Twitter takes to your brand positively, then you could find your product among the most talked about and shared consumer items in the current zeitgeist.
Case in point: This Top Ten, taken from the beak of the bluebird itself. The list is comprised of Twitter’s 10 most “tweeted about” video games in 2021. This was, obviously, a year that saw millions of people spending more time in front of the screen than ever before, mostly due to the impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. And as people experimented with more and more titles with which to while away the hours, they tweeted thoughts and exploits to their armies of followers, and their followers, and so on.
In all, a staggering 2.4 billion tweets were about video games in 2021, which is a year-on-year increase of 14% over 2020, and a whopping 10 times that of statistics from five years ago. As I said. Twitter can be an exceptionally powerful marketing tool… provided you remain on the positive side of its users’ dice-roll opinions.
Here are the 10 most tweeted about video games of 2021:
1. Genshin Impact — MiHoYo (@GenshinImpact)
2. Apex Legends — Electronic Arts (@PlayApex)
3. Ensemble Stars! — Happy Elements Inc. (@ensemble_stars)
4. Final Fantasy — Square Enix (@FinalFantasy)
5. Fate/Grand Order — Aniplex (@fgoproject)
6. Animal Crossing: New Horizons — Nintendo (@animalcrossing)
7. Knives Out — NetEase (@game_knives_out)
8. Minecraft — Xbox Game Studios (@minecraft)
9. Project Sekai Colorful Stage — Sega (@pj_sekai)
10. Fortnite — Epic Games (@fortnitegame)