New Nintendo indies to be shown at IndieCade
The list of new Nintendo independent games to be shown at IndieCade that we received this morning? Great. Great news. But I’m more hung up on the title of the press email that Nintendo sent out:
Nintendo Showcases Prolific “Nindies” and New Games at IndieCade
Ha! I love it. No shame. Own that, Nintendo. Like this:
“Nintendo has always supported creativity and innovation in video games,” said Steve Singer, Nintendo of America’s vice president of Licensing. “These Nindie developers are currently making some of the most exciting and imaginative games out there, and Nintendo is pleased to offer them multiple platforms to bring their creative ideas to life.”
IndieCade kicks off this week in Culver City, California, and Nintendo is bringing a ton of independent games for Wii U and 3DS to show off there. Nindies — Nintendo independent developers — will be in attendance to share their games and experiences with event goers.
The show will be a first hands-on opportunity for many of the titles (listed below). Our own Jonathan Holmes has played Sportsball already, saying that it is pretty great.“Like four player Joust but with balls,” he said.
Aside from this showing, Nintendo will also host a Nindie dev panel on Saturday called “Nintendo Do’s and Don’ts: A Developer-Focused Conversation.” They’ll also participate in IndieCade Night Games with multiplayer tournamentsfor some of the new titles, including Sportsball.
- Affordable Space Adventuresfrom KnapNok Games: A 2D side-scrolling spaceship simulator. Players use the Wii U GamePad controller as a “Heads-Down Display” in the spaceship cockpit. Play it alone, or fly as a crew of two or three players.Exclusively on Wii U.
- The Fallfrom Over the Moon Games:The Fallis a unique blend of adventure-game puzzle solving and side-scrolling action. Players take on the role of ARID, the artificial intelligence onboard a high-tech combat suit.
- Costume Quest 2fromMidnightCity: Pick a fight with demented dental soldiers inCostume Quest 2, the sequel to the hit original RPG,Costume Quest. Includes a range of new features and game-play improvements.
- Stealth Inc. 2from Curve Digital: Players step into the role of a clone escaping a sinister and high-tech testing facility in this puzzle-platformer. The game tests brainpower and reflexes in more than 60 levels linked together by a detailed world.Exclusively on Wii U.
- Swords & Soldiers IIfrom Ronimo Games BV: Like its predecessor,Swords & Soldiers IIis a side-scrolling strategy game that allows players to buy units, cast spells and build structures to overwhelm their enemies on a 2D battleground.Exclusively on Wii U.
- Runbowfrom 13AM Games:Runbowis a party action game for up to nine players. Platforms and obstacles appear and disappear as the background color changes, so players have to think fast, stay alive and make it to victory in Run, King of the Hill and Arena modes.Exclusively on Wii U.
- Sportsballfrom TOO DX: Up to four players take the reins of exotic birds that flap, tackle and dunk balls into the net for points and glory, leaving their opponents as feathery tarred balls of shame.Exclusively on Wii U.
- Chariotfrom Frima:Chariotis a physics-based co-op platformer in which a brave princess and her suitor carry a funeral wagon through ancient caves to bury the King’s remains in a gold-filled tomb.
- Beatbuddyfrom THREAKS: The action-adventureBeatbuddycombines puzzle solving and enemy vanquishing with exploration, set to an original soundtrack.
- Woah Dave!from Choice Provisions: InWoah Dave!, players gun for digital glory by slaughtering aliens, stealing their loose change and racking up the highest score possible.
- Xeodrifterfrom Renegade Kid LLC: A story of an interstellar drifter traveling the stars on a simple mission of exploration,Xeodrifteroffers classic 2D platforming, shooting and exploration game play that will test players’ skills.Exclusively on Nintendo 3DS.
Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
- Shovel Knightfrom Yacht Club Games: A sweeping classic action-adventure game with intense platforming, memorable characters and an 8-bit retro aesthetic. Play as the eponymous Shovel Knight, a small knight with a huge quest!
- Shantae and the Pirate’s Cursefrom WayForward: Set sail for adventure with Shantae, the belly-dancing, hair-whipping half-genie. When Shantae loses her genie magic, she must team up with her arch nemesis Risky Boots and become a pirate in order to save Sequin Land from an evil curse.Exclusively on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS.