Plus a recap of the February 2022 Pokemon Presents
Today’s Pokémon Presents video in celebration of Pokémon Day didn’t really have all that much to it with most of the show being dedicated to updates for existing titles. But for anybody who stuck around for the entire presentation, the best stuff was at the end. Namely, the next generation of Pokémon games are on their way, and they’ll be here before you know it. Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet were revealed as the next two games in the mainline Pokémon franchise. Guess the success of Arceus isn’t changing that two-game release strategy anytime soon.
There is a lot to take in with the trailer above, including the poor security over at Game Freak, but I think there is a lot to be excited about with these next two entries. First of all, those new starters are precious and despite usually being a water-type guy, I think I may have to go with the pretty green kitty on this outing. According to Serebii.net (and confirmed by the game’s official website), the names of these new starters are Sprigatito (Grass-type), Fuecoco (Fire-type), and Quaxly (Water-type). Those first two sound pretty Italian to me. Could the next region be based on Europe’s boot?
One thing to make note of with that trailer: Pokémon Company is referring to it as an “open world of Pokémon.” I know a lot of people are probably going to comment on the large number of low-resolution textures throughout the trailer, but hey, graphics didn’t stop Arceus from becoming a phenomenon. That trailer is bright and cheery and I can’t wait to find out more about it.
Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet will launch on Nintendo Switch worldwide later in 2022. As if this year couldn’t possibly get more packed.
Everything before the reveal of Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
As for everything else that was announced during the show, here is a quick recap:
- Pokémon Go
- Pokémon that first appeared in the Alola Region are coming to the game starting March 1.
- Pokémon Masters: EX
- New trainers are appearing starting tomorrow. Log in today for a 3,000 gem bonus.
- Pokémon Café Remix
- Pelipper is now doing deliveries. Victini is coming to the game as are new Pokémon for the game’s second anniversary.
- Pokémon Unite
- Hoopa is coming today. Complete all the missions to unlock their license. Special Pokémon Day gear now available.
- Duraludon will be the next Pokémon added to the game.
- Pokémon Legends Arceus
- Daybreak Update available today.
- Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl
- Oak’s Letter will be sent to players starting today through March 27 that will give access to Shaymin.
Nice to know there is still a lot of life in all the Pokémon games out on the market with these new games on the horizon. While I’m happy with the Pokémon Violet and Pokémon Scarlet reveal, I have to say I’m a bit surprised we didn’t get any more info on the updated Pokémon TCG app in the show.