Updates from Square Enix, SNK, Kadokawa, and more
This past weekend saw Japan host Tokyo Game Show 2021, once again held in an online capacity as the world continues to adapt to the COVID-19 pandemic. Holding a trade show over the weekend often means that headlines and reveals tend to fall between the cracks of major media outlets, but I thought I’d help all y’all out with this, a short selection of the news, reveals, videos, and updates that rolled out of eastern developers this past weekend.
Let’s get to it. Hope you find something fun!
Tokyo Game Show 2021 recap
- Bandai Namco announces new vision, purpose, and logo for 2022.
- Scarlet Nexus joins Xbox Game Pass and reveals upcoming DLC.
- Capcom’s Monster Hunter Rise reveals upcoming collaborations with Ghouls n’ Ghosts and Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Murder shmup Yurukill: The Calumination Games will launch in the west in 2022.
- WayForward’s first gameplay trailer for River City Girls 2 debuts Japanese voice cast.
- Square Enix releases a new trailer for RPG Echoes of Mana.
- Nintendo Japan releases an overview trailer detailing Mario Party Superstars.
- A new trailer for Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier points to a November 2021 release date.
- Square Enix announces a new chapter for mobile smash hit NieR: Reincarnation.
- Koei Tecmo unveils Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream.
- Square Enix reveals fantasy dungeon crawler, Dungeon Encounters, launching October 14.
- Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires will launch in the west in February 2022.
- Classic shmup Crimzon Clover: World EXplosion is headed to PC in December.
- Koei Tecmo drops a spooky trailer for remaster Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water.
- Square Enix and Artdink release new trailer for historical Switch adventure Triangle Strategy.
- 110 Industries debuts cyber-actioner Wanted: Dead, racer Red Go Faster, and mecha fighter Vengeance is Mine.
- SNK releases the Neo Geo Pocket Color Selection Vol. 1 to the Steam platform.
- Granzella shows images of a mysterious young woman, rumored to be the protagonist of a new Disaster Report.
- Kadokawa Games shows off eight minutes of footage from its PlayStation mech battler, Relayer.
- Tales of Arise announces collaboration with the popular Sword Art Online anime franchise.
It was also announced that Tokyo Game Show 2022 is scheduled to take place September 15-18 2022. Expected to be a hybrid physical/online event, there are currently no specific details as to what form next year’s festivities will take.