Sonic Frontiers, Space Marine 2, FFVII Remake on PC, Alan Wake 2, and other TGA highlights
The time has come for another big end-of-year Keighley get-together, and we’re calling on you, the community — and anyone else who wants in on this rapid-fire madness — to watch along with us. There’s quite a bit of news on deck for The Game Awards, plenty of incremental updates about games that are (or at least were) on our radar, and yeah, there are some awards to hand out to the best of the best before 2022 gets any closer.
There’s only one appropriate image for times like this, so we’re using it again.
The pre-show starts at 4:30 p.m. Pacific, which means it’s gonna be a late and potentially delirious night depending on your time zone. According to a day-before AMA response from Keighley, the actual 2021 Game Awards should be “around three hours long.”
If you’re more into The Game Awards as a platform to recognize great games, and less into the well-oiled marketing machine, you can check out the list of nominees for 2021. We’ll be posting the winner recap at the end of the night once every category is locked in.
As for gaming news, Keighley has confirmed a long list of appearances from upcoming games ranging from the experiential Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 project, to ARC Raiders (aka that shooter with the ball), to “the next Sonic game.” These events tend to show off a mix of mostly known quantities, probable guesses that get fans fired up, and a couple of genuinely surprising moments. Expect trailers. So many trailers. Hype being what it is, it’s easy to get wound up, and there’s a fun element of guesswork with all of the teases and eye emojis. Just don’t be too bummed when something is a no-show.
Geoff said he passed his “final COVID test” and is fit to host, so let’s do this thing.
(For anyone who stumbles on this out-of-context comment thread after the Game Awards 2021 has already wrapped, trust us — it made sense at the time.)
The biggest announcements at The Game Awards 2021
- Here’s all the winners from The Game Awards 2021
- Tunic locks in a release date for March
- Thirsty Suitors is a game about family, relationships, and self coming soon
- There’s a Texas Chain Saw Massacre multiplayer game coming from Gun
- Babylon’s Fall will release on March 3, 2022 across PS4, PS5, and Steam
- Alan Wake 2 is coming to light up the night in 2023
- Wonder Woman game is in the works from Monolith
- Star Wars Eclipse is a High Republic action-adventure game from Quantic Dream
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade hits PC next week
- Sonic Frontiers is an open world Sonic game coming in late 2022
- Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course is out June 30 (for real this time)
- Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands shows off multiple celebrity roles at The Game Awards
- Long overdue Warhammer 40K: Space Marine 2 finally announced
- The first trailer for the Halo TV show is finally here
- It’s Sonic vs. Knuckles in the first trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Suicide Squad’s first gameplay footage looks very promising
- Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II shows off some particularly prescriptive gameplay
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax lands on Steam, Switch, and PS4 next year
- This new Elden Ring story trailer makes the wait for it more annoying
- There’s body horror galore in the debut trailer for Slitterhead
- Dune: Spice Wars will see the series relive its strategic past
- The Matrix Awakens is a cool tech demo with a surprising bit of charm to it
- I swear on the Precious, I wish this Gollum trailer had more gameplay