Zelda Week comes to a close, bitches
It is with great sadness that I must announce an end to Zelda Week here on Destructoid. For the past several days, we’ve put together a series of articles about The Legend of Zelda in celebration of its 35th anniversary. When Nintendo announced a Direct this past week, I was sure there would be a big blow-out for the franchise, much like what it did with Super Mario.Alas, all we got was the confirmation of Skyward Sword HD.
There are still 364 days left for Nintendo to hold some sort of official celebration for The Legend of Zelda, but for today, Destructoid has you covered with a wrap-up of all the articles our writers posted over the last week. Settle in because there’s some excellent reading below.
- We asked the Destructoid staff and community to name their favorite boss battle from the Zeldafranchise. I did not realize there was as big a love for Stallord, but I am 100% here for it.
- Zoey Handley, the writer formally known as Adzuken, shares her thoughts on the importance of Zeldain moving console gaming away from its arcade roots.Also, batteries in her house last forever.
- Jonathan Holmes still loves Skyward Swordbecause what else would you expect from the guy who loves tripping in Smash. But seriously, Skyward Swordis dope, and here’s to hoping Nintendo makes some necessary changes in the Switch remaster.
- As a counterpoint to Holmes’s article, community member TroyFullbuster would like you to know they still hate Skyward Sword. I wish I could say I didn’t hate any game in this series, but Phantom Hourglassexists, so…
- Music has been an important aspect of the series since its inception, and Zach Bennett details how Breath of the Wildcarries on the legacy of sound established in Ocarina of Time.If you don’t think Breath of the Wildhas an awesome soundtrack, you should really give it a second listen.
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Linkhas routinely been called “the hard Zeldagame,” and this year, I managed to beat it for the very first time. But not without a little help. I guess now I should finally get around to beating Majora’s Mask. Or Oracle of Ages. Or Tri Force Heroes, but I think I need two other people for that one.
- It’s an oldie but a goodie. Community member Seymour explores gender in Breath of the Wild.
- Chris Moyse explains why The Legend of Zelda animated series was one of the worst things to ever come out of DIC.The only way you could screw up a Zeldacartoon more is if Nintendo gave the license to Seth MacFarlane.
- Finally, the Destructoid community contributed their own stories on The Legend of Zelda, looking back at its best characters and moments and why this series is so important to so many people.