And it’s out right now
Super Mario 64 Online, a romhack that lets 24 people get together and play Mario 64 together, looks fun as hell — in a slightly broken, wholly entertaining way. It’s downloadable here for free.
Online functionality would be cool in its own right, but this is Mario 64, after all. There’s a wild scene of creative, dedicated, ingenious players surrounding this game. To that end, Super Mario 64 Online has emotes (wave, cry, sleep, get electrocuted) and cleverly-implemented new playable characters:
- Mario is normal
- Luigi jumps higher but skids more
- Yoshi can flutter jump but can’t wallkick
- Wario takes less damage but is slower
- Peach can float like in [Super Mario Bros. 2] but can’t grab onto ledges
- Toad is faster but can’t jump as high
- Waluigi has a double jump but takes more damage
- Rosalina spins in the air like in [Super Mario Galaxy] if you press B, but this replaces her dive
Creators Kaze Emanuar, Melonspeedruns, and Marshivolt also have a short tutorial video here.