Fired employee tells all
[Update: Looks like this is most likely a hoax. The leaker said they had accidentally given information to Kotaku, which in turn caused her to get fired. Kotaku confirmed today that no information was ever given to them by this person.]
Around 11 months ago, a person claiming to be a disgruntled ex-employee of Bethesda took to reddit to leak Fallout 4 information. After today’s official reveal, it seems this rumor may have at least a little truth to it.
“In Fallout 4, mixing things up, we are making the game more ‘Story Based’ and the player character will finally talk, and narrate his storyline.At the beginning of the game, you create your character (You can only be a male in the main story),” stated the leaker. Bethesda has offered customization and gender options for both the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series in the past, so this would be a big change if true, and surely unwelcomed by some.
Other notable claims made by the leaker include:
- The map ofFallout 4is about three times the size ofSkyrim
- Set in the year 2287, exactly 10 years afterFallout 3
- Takes place in Boston
- Xbox 360 and PS3 version will release later and run on theSkyrimengine (the teaser website had CSS mentions of both consoles)
- You can import yourFallout 3 data that could have an impact on the story depending on your previous choices
- PC version includes a “Classic Mode” that will feature a bird’s-eye view like the original titles
- You can only play as a male in the main story, but can change gender after completing the story
- PC / PS4 / Xbox One release date: October 2015
- PS3 / Xbox 360 release date: December 2015
- Will have five DLCs released over the next year
- An expansion will be revealed at E3 next year, and released in October
Obviously a lot of information there that could easily be true or fake, so take this all with a grain of salt. I think the most interesting bits are the lack of initial gender options for story mode and the last-gen versions.